Monday, January 14, 2002

Bad news at work today. One of our senior managers (my boss's boss) had died over the weekend. He was an outspoken engineer with lots of industry experience that he used well. John was one of the people I interviewed with, and was key in convincing me that this place stood a chance of doing the right things to help itself.

John had been battling some form of cancer (prostate?) successfully for the last year or so, and I did not get to see much of him, unfortunately. He had done well enough that he was making plans to come back to work this month after he finished chemo and underwent radiation treatments to finish off the cancer. However, his next-to-last scheduled chemo session caused a reaction (a known one) of mucous over-production in his lungs that made breathing difficult. That sent him to the hospital, then to a more capable hospital in Boston. He seemed to be doing OK then, but he did not respond to treatments meant to improve his breathing. His lungs both collapsed yesterday, and he never recovered. He died with his family at his side, and I hope he made his peace with God.

We were really caught unaware here (I just signed a card for him on Friday), and it was quite a shock when our director made the announcement this morning (he was clearly shaken - they had been friends for quite some time). Arrangements have been made, and I plan on attending the services later this week.

Events like this really force me to examine my priorities and remember the fragility of life and the importance of using the present well, since the future can be taken from us at any time. Saving for the future is good, but we need to live in the present as well.

I mourn the loss of a friend I didn't have yet, but expected to soon. I feel like I missed out on a really unique person.

-John


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?