Wednesday, July 24, 2002

I remember some funny things Drew has said in recent days, months, seasons, and often I have written them down, to remember for future blogging. So I just recently came upon a sheet of paper listing some of these and here they are:

In the fall we were travelling the scenic (in the fall it seems all the routes around New England are scenic, what with fall leaves, rolling hills, lakes of glistening water...) route between our very new town of Nashua and Keene across southern NH. We were passing trough the small town of Peterborough when I mentioned to the boys that I saw a curious sign entitled 'Field Mouse Annex' but at first glance I thought it had read 'Fried Mouse Annex'. Boy, Drew was laughing hysterically at that one. He kept asking me to repeat it and repeat it....

Minutes later we enjoyed jpassing through the very small town of Dublin, NH and witnessed a picturesque lake. We had heard that this route takes you toward Keene, where this county is dubbed as Currier and Ives countryside, very quaint. Drew noted 'I never got to see a lake THAT beautiful before'. It seemed like John and I hadn't either.

We mentioned to Drew on that drive that his birthday was coming soon; he was going to turn 5 on December 2, and time was drawing near to plan a party. When I first told him that his birthday was soon, he got so excited he was not thinking clearly! "Is it today?!" he inquired. When I told him no, he asked 'Is it tomorrow?!'

Last week we were going through our usual morning routine, and he was a bit out of sorts and not really in a great mood. Usually he wakes in a super mood. But this morning was noticeably different different. Nothing major went wrong, he just did not care for being told what to do and being reminded to do what he had forgotten to do. He finally looked u at me, really mad and frustrated, and remarked 'Do you notice I am having a tough morning?'

One day we were having dinner and I was tired as I have often been this pregnancy. I am trying to reinforce with Drew, especially this summer, to do as much for himself as he is capable of (knowing this will be especially important when the baby comes). So more and more when he asks me to do somethign for him, I have told him he needs to do it himself. One day he asked for another spoon (his had dropped on the floor) and I told him he needed to get it himself. He looked at me and said 'Mommy, do you like helping me?' so calmly and innocently. So we talked about that.

One day I made ramen noodles for our dinner, and he had helped pick them out for dinner. I heard him say during dinner, 'I love robin' (meaning ramen)!

One day we were expecting John home from about 7 days away at a conference, and naturally we were thrilled we did not have to wait any longer. I asked Drew to get out of his clothes so I could bathe him. I said 'Surely Daddy does not want to see a dirty boy!' and he replied that yes, his Daddy does want to see a dirty boy. Come to think of it, this was the beginning of the arguing age. these days, it seems he argues EVERYTHING I say. It seems he is 5 going on 12!

One day Drew said to me right out of the blue, 'You have some snarling moves' and I inquired what he meant. He meant no harm, he was smiling and saying it pleasantly enough. It was actually kind of cute. But he had absolutely NO IDEA what it meant, just that it got a reaction from me!

Drew has now officially been initiated into life as a member of the Notre Dame family, having been to the freshman sendoff party last week. Now he has seen football games on TV but never met the gang. This was something else - and what a party for him to see the club members - it was held right on the beach. Some of the older members of the club, Ellen ('73) and Bob King of Salem have a second home on the beach just over the border in Salisbury Beach, MA. A very pleasant beach it was, and a super party as we met some really friendly people. Drew enjoyed playing on the sand while John went in to take part in the question and answer session and he and I and some of the kids played outside on the sand burying each other. I believe I found another babysitter, the daughter of the current club president. We plan to host a game watch Sept 6 for the Purdue game so hopefully lots of the people will show up again.

We are camping tonight in the sunroom tonight as the temps are plummeting into the 50s. John blew up the air mats and folded out the sleeping bags and Drew was thrilled to hear about the plans. He is even more excited to camp outdoors, but for now, middle of the week this will have to do.

He spent the day with Jenna, one of his buddies from preschool, and they had a fabulous time catching moths and putting them into their bug houses. Jenna was here for a few hours then her mom Melinda took them to the park. Melinda and I scrapboolk together and the kids go to gymnastics together Tuesday am's and will attend K this fall at the same time, same school, but have different teachers.

That is it for tonight. Hope all of you reading are doing well and having a blessed summer.

Oh, before I sign off, I remembered a moment I cannot forget -

Every night when tucking Drew in I ask him to pary with me and ask him what we want to thank God for tonight. Last night he said his first prayer himself 'God, thank you for the warm shower water that feels so good running down my back'. There you have it. I believe if you can appreciate the 'little' things in life, you can be really happy.
He has taken more to praying lately, especially when we hear fire engines or police sirens blaring. I told him how it means that someone is in trouble, when we hear that. Sometimes I pray outloud in the car when we hear that. So now when we hear sirens he implores me to pray for those needing urgent help.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?