Tuesday, February 11, 2003

Drew has been watching a lot of old Star Wars movies withh John lately and just loving it. I suppose it all started when he received a Star Wars Lego kit for Christmas. So Drew knows all the characters' names, including the Emperor and Darth Vader. He also is very aware of just how bad and dastardly the Emperor is, dressed all in his terrible black cloak and hood. So I should not have been surprised to hear his comment when we happened to be in church Sunday, in the basement having a "Sweetheart" breakfast with the parishioners. A kindly nun came up and was charming Matthew in my arms and she actually was pretty sweet. Drew does not see many nuns, in fact, I cannot recall him ever seeing a nun before (in habit). But he tugged on my sleeve and whispered 'Mommy, I HAVE to tell you something!" So I bent my ear down, and he whispered "She looks like the Emperor" in a voice that said he did not know whether to trust her.

During our breakfast I was talking to a gentleman on one side of me and did not immediately notice another talking to Matthew on the other side of the table near the boys. John told me that Drew came up to him, whispered in his ear urgently that "A stranger was talking to Matt!" Wow, I was so pleased to hear that he was looking out for Matt.

Lately I have noticed that, when nursing Matt, I have to keep my voice level since he falls off to sleep or at least a deep deep relaxed state pretty quickly often. Often I burst out laughing or talk loudly enough that it startles him. Sometimes I notice him wake up very quickly and turn to me when I laugh or speak too loudly. Sometimes I notice Matthew turning his head to look up at me intently and he holds it there just staring at me. It almost seems as if he is dusturbed if I speak to other people while feeding HIM!

Yesterday AM Drew had his best friend Bethany over to play and they were eagerly taking part in Matt's care. Or, I should say Bethany was and Drew followed in her footsteps, not wanting to be left out of something. We hve just begun to feed Matt rice cereal with formula, and they each took turns giving him a spoonful. They were funny the way they would try to put in another spoonful just as they had put one into his little mouth. He takes quite a while to eat it since he is not familiar with 'solid' food. So a couple minutes between spoonfuls is just what he needs now!

Yesterday evening, Matt was just wanting to be held at dinnertime, so John and I took turns, and he still fussed. I didn't realize just how much Drew had been listening to our trouble shooting process over the past few months, but he talked me right through it. It was pretty funny to me. "When did he last eat?" he asked me. I told him I didn't remember exactly, but I guess close to two hours ago. 'Oh yeah, he's hungry then. Why don't you feed him while we eat?" he pointed out.

A couple minutes ago, Drew came down from bed and found me watching CNN which I turned off, as they were talking about war with Iraq. It is early am. I told him it was time for breakfast and he suggested we eat it in the family room 'to keep Matt company.' I told him that I realized he wanted to watch TV, and wasn't that the real reason he wanted to stay in the family room to eat, and he kept up his story - that he wanted to keep Matt company (if we were going to eat in the kitchen I would have brought Matt in withh us).

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?