Friday, March 14, 2003
A few days ago I was getting dressed while Drew was in his room doing the same. When he brought his clothes into my room to dress, he noticed some clothes I had on and it had been quite some time since he hahd seen them on me, as I mostly wear nursing shirts these days (not my 'normal' shirts). He has been spending a lot of his allotted movie/TV time lately watching the different Star Wars movies and recently saw The Phantom Menace, one in which there was a bad guy type called Darth Maul with a dastardly red/black striped zig zaggy face paint. Well it happened that my sweater I wore this day was red/black zig zagged sweater dress given to me by Mom and Dad long ago. One look at me and Drew exclaimed 'One thing is I can't find a shirt to match this and secondly, YOU LOOK LIKE DARTH MAUL!!' Now, I do not watch Star Wars for the most part (sci fi is not my thing) so I did not know who he was talking about but I had a pretty good idea. Wow, did we ever share a good laugh - for about ten minutes. these characters from SW seem to be ingrained in his mind so well that he is seeing them everywhere - in church (the nun wearing the big black habit) and now at home. :-)
Drew's been offering to turn the TV to CNN for me sometimes, when he knows he is going to be out of the room. He is just so thoughtful sometimes. Often I am just rushing around the kitchen in the evenings like a crazy person trying to get meals on for everybody, and it seems like everybody likes different things, and I carry Matt around the kitchen often because he is often cranky (just not satisfied unless held) in the evenings, so my hands are full. I didn't realize that Drew sees every moment of what is going on. Often he is sitting at the table, and, I am hoping, eating, but instead he is watching me dart from the microwave to the fridge, to the counter to the pantry...he often says in a sad voice 'I wish I could keep the fridge door from closing on you' or I wish I could close that microwave door for you' as I juggle things to try to do three things at once. His compassion amazes me.
He has begun to ask John sometimes 'How do you feel?' when John comes home in the evening and say to John 'I hope you don't hurt today' when we have been talking about his pain level. It is just amazing to watch him grown into a person who has empathy for others.
Drew's been offering to turn the TV to CNN for me sometimes, when he knows he is going to be out of the room. He is just so thoughtful sometimes. Often I am just rushing around the kitchen in the evenings like a crazy person trying to get meals on for everybody, and it seems like everybody likes different things, and I carry Matt around the kitchen often because he is often cranky (just not satisfied unless held) in the evenings, so my hands are full. I didn't realize that Drew sees every moment of what is going on. Often he is sitting at the table, and, I am hoping, eating, but instead he is watching me dart from the microwave to the fridge, to the counter to the pantry...he often says in a sad voice 'I wish I could keep the fridge door from closing on you' or I wish I could close that microwave door for you' as I juggle things to try to do three things at once. His compassion amazes me.
He has begun to ask John sometimes 'How do you feel?' when John comes home in the evening and say to John 'I hope you don't hurt today' when we have been talking about his pain level. It is just amazing to watch him grown into a person who has empathy for others.