Thursday, June 12, 2003

This was a heck of a day. John left us on a business trip to meet with some others (one he knew inthe USAF, and another he knew from Motorola) to plan a conference later this year. It seems like it should be summer vacation already ut Drew still has another full week. This was Old Home days at Birch Hill School - a reenactment of life 150 years ago, to celebrate nashua's being 150 years old this week. last week the city celebrated by making the largest cake ever, i forget how many pieces it had, or how much it weighed. I wasnot well informed aboutit, or Iwould have been there - downtown to get a piece.

Drew began the day at bethany's and was picked up at about 9. kari offered tofind some clothes for him to wear outfitting him in 1850s garb and boy did she do it. I showed up at on the grounds to spectate with Matthew in town in my papoose, as usual. boy, does he ever love that thing. i do too, for my back can hold him quite long, a lot longer than my front can hold in the front carrier. anyway, all the teachers and principal were outfitted genuinely and Drew was - wow. Kari had made knickers of his pants by rolling the bottoms up and found a beret, and suspenders, and he and Bethany were quite a pair.

the marriage is going strong by the way, to kari's and our amazement. last week, they were arguing about something - I think it was who was going to go first, and I urged him to let her go first since she is our guest and she shouted indignantly 'I am not a guest, I am his wife!'. boy, she sure told me!

the celebration was impressive - horsedrawn rides, anold fashioned lemonade stand, a replica of an old classroom 1850s style, general store with penny candy and a watermelon spitting contest. and a carding booth to try actually carding a sheep's wool. neat.

got email from Densie Schirmann, an old Phx pal who has settled down in lake Zurich, IL. How great to hear from her and get caught up on the family's doings.

Drew was melting down so profoundly, this eve, beginning at pick up at Bethany's at 6. he must have used up every last ounce of energy playing with his wife. he was in such a rotten mood that he was complaining about how john and I go away on vacations by ourselves! he practicaly never complains about something unless it is happening right now. but tonight was a very hard night for him.

he is delighted to find out, and it seems he realized this all on his own, that he has an adult tooth coming in ( you can see the actual tooth) behind one of his top teeth. he pressed the silly putty into his mouth to make an impression of the teeth to prove to us that it is real.

I drove through the very picturesque country roads of Hollis, NH today while Drew was in school and it was so lovely. I remember how quickly I fell in love with this quaint little town on a househunting trip and being determined to live there. but there was *very little* in our price range available there. John and I actually fought over which home to put an offer on, it came down to this home and one in Hollis I was crazy about. (Darling home, it had three wooded acres and fenced area for Rory, and 3 lovely fireplaces and wood floors throughout and window seats int he bedrooms...loaded with charm.) needless to say, he won that one. But we are both glad to be where we are now. ;you just can't help but gazing at the gorgwoud homes and countryside of Hollis, though. Perhaps some day my dream will come true. for now it is just a mile away...

I cooked today, and it felt great. i cook very little these days as Matt and Drew seem to take all my time and rightfully so. I keep telling myself it is okay and I will cook a lot more next year! the pumpkin-chocolate marbled custard ( it was going to be a pie but the crust had gotten moldy in the freezer. since when does mold grow in the freezer??) was really good and required no baking - this is my kind of dessert. and it counts as a serving of veggies, right? After all it is mainly pumpkins! and with the chocolate form the cocoa 'beans', it counts as a legume which is VERY HEALTHY. so it sounds like this is truly health food. perhaps I will try to sell it through Trader Joe's.

i was delighted to find one of Drew's most darling baby outfitsin a bag titled '12 mos' and I wasted no time putting it on Matthew. wow, talk about deja vu. it is just like I am looking at baby Drew again right before my very eyes.

Better get on the bike as this body really needs to get in shape. it is so great to use the computer while john isgone, as I don't need to fight him off to write til my heart is content. it is supposed to be chilly tonight - better close some windows.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?