Friday, July 02, 2004

I received all of Drew's first grade work in hisportfolio a couple weeks ago on the last day of school with his report card and carefully went through it, as I had been very much looking forward to seeing it for some time. We had had every indication that he had really flourished under Mrs. Roach's direction this year. his art work and academic work - it al came home. Sometime he broughthome the above but much of it waited for the last day. here are a few I was particularly interested in.

"How did I learn to ski? by Drew Martinez My ski teacher taught me. First I kept falling down Because I didn't turn my skis on the hill. but I kept falling down because I didn't bend myknees. but I kept falling down. I got so good at skiing I hardlyfell down at all."

This sheet was done at a period when they were studying 'first, then, later, lastly...'

"First, my Mom was playing with matthew. Next, we went into the into the kitchin. Then, Matthew wasgoing near the spoons, forks and knives. Afterthat, I grabbed Matthew. Last everything was fine again,"

I was quite interested to learn what made himc hoose each of these events to write about, for surely his teacher did not help each child choose an event. she simply does not have the time for that. but unfortunately Drew did not remember - it had been some time since he had written. I like his writings so much tat I am trying to have him write and journal in his summer journal given to the children on the last day.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?