Monday, December 19, 2005
Yesterday was not one of my better days for my upper back pain, and I was really feeling it as I was gettin Matt ready for bed (Mary was out with a Mom's group). It also happened that Matt had pinched his palm on something that broke the skin a bit, so he was complaining about it hurting, not being used to pain persisting like that. I told him I had some "cream" (our generic term for topical medications) to put on it to make it feel better. We went upstairs to do that, but I had to lay on the floor for a few minutes on account of my own pain.
Naturally, Matt noticed this, first taking it for a game ("Wake up, Daddy!"). I told him why I was there as I got up and put the Neosporin (the type that has a mild pain killer in it) on his hand. I told him the cream would help his hand feel better, and his response was as predictable as it was endearing. Matt picked up the Neosporin and came towards me (he was behind me, so he was approaching my back). He said, "Can I put some cleam [his pronunciation for "cream"] on your back to make it feel better?" Of course, I told him how nice he was to try to help me like that, but that I have different medicine for my back. Being three years old, that did not deter him much, and he asked about once a minute for the next 10 minutes if I was going to put some cream on my back!
If there is a bright spot in living with chronic pain, it is that our boys are growing up learning about individual limitations that people have, and having compassionate understanding for them and acceptance of the people as well as the limitations - as a part of the whole spectrum of health conditions. We are fortunate that my health issues don't usually dominate our lives these days, but they are always there nonetheless – a living reminder that good health is not to be taken for granted nor is bad health a reason for giving up on living (at least that's what I hope they see).
Naturally, Matt noticed this, first taking it for a game ("Wake up, Daddy!"). I told him why I was there as I got up and put the Neosporin (the type that has a mild pain killer in it) on his hand. I told him the cream would help his hand feel better, and his response was as predictable as it was endearing. Matt picked up the Neosporin and came towards me (he was behind me, so he was approaching my back). He said, "Can I put some cleam [his pronunciation for "cream"] on your back to make it feel better?" Of course, I told him how nice he was to try to help me like that, but that I have different medicine for my back. Being three years old, that did not deter him much, and he asked about once a minute for the next 10 minutes if I was going to put some cream on my back!
If there is a bright spot in living with chronic pain, it is that our boys are growing up learning about individual limitations that people have, and having compassionate understanding for them and acceptance of the people as well as the limitations - as a part of the whole spectrum of health conditions. We are fortunate that my health issues don't usually dominate our lives these days, but they are always there nonetheless – a living reminder that good health is not to be taken for granted nor is bad health a reason for giving up on living (at least that's what I hope they see).