Tuesday, March 07, 2006

A Strange Thing Last Night

I was sleeping soundly last night when I woke to find the hallway light turned on and Matt sitting next to me on the edge of the bed. He was wide awake, and said, very matter-of-factly, "Hi Daddy." I was pretty confused. I thought I might have slept in, but it was dark out, and the clock read 2:52 AM. I asked Matt if something was wrong, or if he needed something, and he just said, "No." He seemed to think it was natural for him to be there right then. Mary was ignoring him (I found out later he had been up once already and she had put him back to bed), so I told him he needed to get back to bed. He was his usual, agreeable self, until I followed him down the stairs, largely to get all the lights turned off.

The moment he saw me behind him, he fell apart, told me not to follow and basically melted down. I picked him up and carried him back to bed. I had to tell him he must quiet down so the rest of us could sleep, and he said "OK," while choking back more tears. Once I got him back to bed, he slept through the rest of the night. He never did give any reason for getting up and coming to our room, but I bet he was hoping to play with someone!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?