Thursday, April 06, 2006
The other day I came upon Drew's nice linen pants in the drawer, and I explained to him about hanging up and putting them into drawers. He said he did not want to wear them. I rarely hear this from him unless something looks a bit too girly for him, in his eyes. So I was pretty surprised to hear this. He tried to articulate that they look raggish, since they have that nubby texture. I asked if he felt he were wearing something ragged and he said he did feel that way. I was amused. I was so excited when I found them at such a decent price, I bought them right away and he can wear them to school and get lots of use out of them. So I carefully explained to him that that is the way the fabric is made, and that it is natural and that it is actually considered a most special material. But once he heard that, and believed he was not being told to wear 'rags', he said it would be fine to wear them. Now there was a conversation I will always smile about ;-)
John incidentally had a most interesting conversation with Matty, now 3 and a half, as of yesterday. He was playing with Matty one evening. They had trains out and Matty was doling out the trains as he saw fit. He took Jupiter, the nice shiny battery-operated train for himself and gave John a more ordinary train engine, Percy, a small green engine.
John: "What if I want to play with Jupiter?"
Matty: "You don't want Jupiter." (Very matter-of-fact - as though he was pointing out something John overlooked.)
John: "But I do want Jupiter."
Matty: "You'll like Percy." (He sounded just liked a used car salesman - very confident and smooth delivery.)
John: "But I want Jupiter" He didn't care what train he got, he just wanted to see where Matty was going with this conversation.
Matty: "I can't give you Jupiter." (Still very calm about this!)
John: "Why?"
Matty: "I don't know." (And that was all he would say about it - he wanted to change the subject by this time!)
John was pretty amused when he told me this, for it showed some level of sophistication to carefully try to give away the lesser engine without actually saying "I want it. You can't have it." Interesting…
John incidentally had a most interesting conversation with Matty, now 3 and a half, as of yesterday. He was playing with Matty one evening. They had trains out and Matty was doling out the trains as he saw fit. He took Jupiter, the nice shiny battery-operated train for himself and gave John a more ordinary train engine, Percy, a small green engine.
John: "What if I want to play with Jupiter?"
Matty: "You don't want Jupiter." (Very matter-of-fact - as though he was pointing out something John overlooked.)
John: "But I do want Jupiter."
Matty: "You'll like Percy." (He sounded just liked a used car salesman - very confident and smooth delivery.)
John: "But I want Jupiter" He didn't care what train he got, he just wanted to see where Matty was going with this conversation.
Matty: "I can't give you Jupiter." (Still very calm about this!)
John: "Why?"
Matty: "I don't know." (And that was all he would say about it - he wanted to change the subject by this time!)
John was pretty amused when he told me this, for it showed some level of sophistication to carefully try to give away the lesser engine without actually saying "I want it. You can't have it." Interesting…