Friday, May 23, 2008
Graduations
Well, the end of school came, and it was quite bittersweet. It was so very sad to say goodbye to our close relationship with these superb teachers that we grew close to this year: Mrs. Garcia, Matty's lead teacher, Mrs. Nicole Rivera who left in February on maternity leave, Mrs. Tammy Breeden who came on the scene in February and was such a delight, and Mrs. Adams who I so hoped would be Drew's teacher for fifth. I was elated when he was assigned to her. Her reputation scared Drew to death for the first month or two or three, but then he felt comfortable, and even grew to like her and appreciate her wild sense of humor. She even jokes with him about it now, how she used to scare him half to death, with her monstrous punishments of writing lines of a very long nature for punishments. But, she has been just a wonderful teacher for him.
Matty's teachers have been true blessings for him, too, but it was simply joyous to see the very upbeat and happy, happy, happy Mrs. Garcia daily. Wow, she was just what I needed to start out MY day! I would have been pleased if she taught him all 13 years at Hope. Each morning, she would bend down and joyfully tough his double dimples in amazement. He learned to read better, to write his name and short sentences, many Bible verses (the short ones, manners and songs, rhymes. He had blast there, and told us all the time who got in trouble that day. We never asked, but he would elaborate on that, it was on his mind, and who wiggled in quiet time, who talked out of turn – kind of funny what 5 year olds will choose to share with you about their day. I would ask the children at the end of each school day what the highlight of the day was and invariably Matty would tell me "playing at recess with ________________."
Matty's teachers have been true blessings for him, too, but it was simply joyous to see the very upbeat and happy, happy, happy Mrs. Garcia daily. Wow, she was just what I needed to start out MY day! I would have been pleased if she taught him all 13 years at Hope. Each morning, she would bend down and joyfully tough his double dimples in amazement. He learned to read better, to write his name and short sentences, many Bible verses (the short ones, manners and songs, rhymes. He had blast there, and told us all the time who got in trouble that day. We never asked, but he would elaborate on that, it was on his mind, and who wiggled in quiet time, who talked out of turn – kind of funny what 5 year olds will choose to share with you about their day. I would ask the children at the end of each school day what the highlight of the day was and invariably Matty would tell me "playing at recess with ________________."