Friday, May 23, 2008
No offense Mom, but....
Recently my friend Jennifer told me of a nurse opening for the week the kids (Drew and his friend, Alex) will be at week-long camp in CO, at the same adventure camp with white water rafting near pagosa Springs, CO. She told me I might consider being the camp nurse. We signed up the boys in February to go together in July for a week. Sounds likle a blast and at the time I was miffed I couldn't go and told them that. Horseback riding, swimming, rock climbing, white water rafting.......who wouldn't want to go?
So I was intrigued when she told me that the camp indeed needs a nurse that week. If a nurse mom is hired, then her child goes free. So I asked Drew today what he would think if I went along to be the camp nurse, (and possibly saved that week of camp from being canceled due to not having a nurse on site). He didn't hesitate to answer me. "Well, Mom, no offense, but…you don't really (know how to) deal with injuries (at work, where I am now) and besides, the kids at this camp have no brain diseases." He knows full well what I do at work currently, working with those suffering from dementia and that I do not deal with camp-like injuries frequently. He has no idea that I have training in all kinds of nursing and that the knowledge would come back to me if I needed it. I burst out laughing, I had no idea he would respond with these thoughts. I think once I was laughing, we all had a good laugh, he, Matty and I. When I laugh heartily these days, or the boys do, Rory gets a bit frightened, and he barks loudly. So it was quite loud here!
So I was intrigued when she told me that the camp indeed needs a nurse that week. If a nurse mom is hired, then her child goes free. So I asked Drew today what he would think if I went along to be the camp nurse, (and possibly saved that week of camp from being canceled due to not having a nurse on site). He didn't hesitate to answer me. "Well, Mom, no offense, but…you don't really (know how to) deal with injuries (at work, where I am now) and besides, the kids at this camp have no brain diseases." He knows full well what I do at work currently, working with those suffering from dementia and that I do not deal with camp-like injuries frequently. He has no idea that I have training in all kinds of nursing and that the knowledge would come back to me if I needed it. I burst out laughing, I had no idea he would respond with these thoughts. I think once I was laughing, we all had a good laugh, he, Matty and I. When I laugh heartily these days, or the boys do, Rory gets a bit frightened, and he barks loudly. So it was quite loud here!