Monday, June 16, 2008
They Don't have dementia
When Jennifer Gonzales approached me to consider being the camp nurse for the camp that Alex and Drew will go to, I was intrigued. I kept thinking about it, for all the good things, a week in gorgeous CO, white water rafting (maybe for the nurse!), free camp fee for Drew and I might even get paid for my duties. Sure sounded like a nice change of pace for my life here in the desert. I thought I better mention it to Drew and see how he felt about me tagging along before I got too serious about it. So I told him I was considering being the camp nurse. Now so far in his life, Drew has only seen me take care of dementia patients as far as my nursing career goes.
I would never have guessed his response. I thought he might be put off by my tagging along, since he has reached a very self conscious age. He said without hesitation "Mom, these kids don't have dementia, and you don't know how to treat actual injuries." Well, I couldn't blame him, this is his perspective, he doesn't realize I remember from nursing school how to treat actual injuries. We talked about this :-)
Mary
I would never have guessed his response. I thought he might be put off by my tagging along, since he has reached a very self conscious age. He said without hesitation "Mom, these kids don't have dementia, and you don't know how to treat actual injuries." Well, I couldn't blame him, this is his perspective, he doesn't realize I remember from nursing school how to treat actual injuries. We talked about this :-)
Mary