Wednesday, August 13, 2008

But you're an adult

The other day I awoke with a large amount of energy,  and it was just before the kiddos went back to school.   perhaps part of me wanted to g et the most out of their 'I'm bored' attitudes and get their help cleaning the house while they still had plenty of time.   And it was a good  day to work hard for we were going out later that day - i forget if it was to Cliff's amusement park or Explora - the interactive science museum, or what great attraction......so they 'deserved' to put in a few good hard hours of work to help.  

I asked Drew to do his usual chores asked of him, vacuuming, recycle sorting.....filling the dishwasher, one by one.  WEll, at one point he complained that he needed a break and that he had been a t this for 'hours' (I am not sure it had truly been hours, but it sure seemed like it to an 11 year old).So I replied quickly that I hadn't had fun (yes, that is his words he used, "Mom, I haven't had any fun for hours") for many hours too,  we  were in the same boat.  without missing a beta,  he responded 'that's okay, you're an adult" as if to mean that adults are SUPPOSED to work all day and it is okay.    Well,  we talked after that and I am not sure he registered any of what  I said about all  of us deserving to have a life, an enjoyable life.  But to his defense,  he usually is very compassionate and more than understanding, more than most people I know.  That morning's whirlwind cleaning spree stressed him as never before, because I had never asked as much of him before.  

Actually today I had the flu on the second day of school for 6th grader Drew and kindergartener Matty.   Drew had been absent o the very first day of classes and therefore missed the learning the locker combination session.  So I  was quite worried about him  today, not knowing how to properly open a combination lock.  I lay in bed all day worrying if he was able to get his  stuff out when it was time for this class and the next class and if he would remember all the right things required for each class.  They are so precise at Hope  about what each child must bring  to each class,and some things to never use - such as a pen  in  some classes.    So i called him in what voice I had, terrible sore throat, to my bedroom when they came home (Jennifer brought them home, bless her) and his first words to me I will not forget.  "Get back in bed.Mom" he ordered me seeing me wandering i a half daze, trying hard to stand upright.  He is a really sweet boy;  really caring for his dear old mom.

mary

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?