Monday, August 04, 2008
"I'll process with him"
We have a saying in our house, when the parents talk to the child after a time out to see if they have learned anything, basically from having to take a time out to think it through what they did wrong. That is called processing, a term I got from my days in Charter Behavioral's teen and child residential psychiatric wards. Back in '94-'98 I worked there, on the adult, teen, child and rehab units. Anyhow, we still use the term "processing" to help the child better understand what they are supposed to be learning from having been punished for doing something wrong.
Well, Matthew Heinstein was with us today, since his mom was working and Hope camp has adjourned for the summer, he will be with us 4 out of 5 days this week, the first of August 2008. They do not get along famously, often arguing, even for five year olds, I think they argue a lot. Well, I was growing awfully weary of all the tattling. The children were outside on the swingset and again, my Matthew came in to tell on Matthew. I forget what he had done "wrong" this time. I suggested to Matty that maybe he go do something different then, as I was taught when I was young: when you are not getting along with someone, then make some distance between you and them. He replied that he decided not to go, but "I will go process with him." Hours later, I asked him how it worked out, and he said it went well.
All is well that ends well
:-) Mary